In the late 19th Century a school was desperately needed for the farming community of Kenmore. Local children were expected to travel to school in the surrounding areas of Indooroopilly, Brookfield and Fig Tree Pocket.
In 1894, Messers Woolcock, Stanley, Nicol and Alford submitted an application for the establishment of a provisional school in the already "thickly populated area, with post office, church and hall".
On the 9 July 1900, a provisional school was realised, with 39 children and one teacher, who would make the daily commute (on foot) from Indooroopilly train station. Kenmore State School remained a one-teacher school until the 1960s when land developers moved in and peak student numbers reached over 800.
Happily, more than 110 years later, Kenmore State School has firmly established itself as a centrepoint of community and education.